Carving knife used to threaten Fenland shopkeeper
POLICE are appealing for witnesses to an attempted robbery in which a man threatened a woman with a carving knife.
It happened at Ketteringham newsagents, at the junction of Park Road and Park Street, in Wisbech, at about 4.15pm yesterday (July 7).
The 43-year-old woman, a member of staff, was pricing up some cans of drink when the man walked in and picked up a bag of sweets.
As she went to open the cash till to serve him he pulled out a serrated knife, roughly 12 inches long. He tried to reach over the grab her but she pulled away and screamed.
She ran into a back rook while the man is believed to have thrown the till on the floor before fleeing empty handed in the direction of Balding Close.
You may also want to watch:
The man is described as white, about 5’9”, 25 to 30, clean shaven, and wore a light baseball cap, a sleeveless high visibility jacket and had a bandage on one hand.
DC Mark Oakes, who is investigating, said he was particularly keen to speak to a man who was jogging in the area at the time.
- 1 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 2 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 3 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 4 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 5 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
- 6 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 7 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 8 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 9 Couple's puzzle library raises £2,000 for foodbank
- 10 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
He said: “The member of staff was not injured but she was very shaken. I would like to speak to anyone with information that could help us find the person responsible.
“In particular, I would like to speak to the jogger, who would have seen the robber, and I would urge him to get in touch.”
Anyone with information should contact DC Oakes on 0345 456 456 4, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111