Celebrations as controversial �1million Wisbech playground officially opened
FAMILIES and supporters of the controversial �1million Wisbech playground turned out in force on Saturday to witness its official opening.
Wisbech Mayor, Councillor Nick Meekins, offered a short speech of thanks to all of those involved in the Waterlees playground’s development before cutting the ribbon to declare ‘The Spinney’ open in front of a cheering crowd.
Councillor Martin Curtis, Cambridgeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Children, was also present at the celebrations which saw face painting and balloon modelling on offer.
It is believed that the “self-build” area is the first of its kind in the world but the decks, sides and nets will only be made available to use during staffed sessions.
They join two massive barges and a host of other facilities at the playground which has delighted many of the area’s children.
You may also want to watch:
The playground has, however, been plagued by a number of problems since it started being built last summer with the two 65-foot barges being attacked days after they were installed causing thousands of pounds of damage.
Angry residents have also claimed that their lives have been made a misery since the playground has been built suggesting that drunken youths have “taken it over”.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 4 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 5 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 6 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
For opening hours, to check the times of staffed sessions and to find out more about the adventure playground, log on to: www.wisbechadventureplay.net