Celebrations as controversial �1million Wisbech playground officially opened
FAMILIES and supporters of the controversial �1million Wisbech playground turned out in force on Saturday to witness its official opening.
Wisbech Mayor, Councillor Nick Meekins, offered a short speech of thanks to all of those involved in the Waterlees playground’s development before cutting the ribbon to declare ‘The Spinney’ open in front of a cheering crowd.
Councillor Martin Curtis, Cambridgeshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Children, was also present at the celebrations which saw face painting and balloon modelling on offer.
It is believed that the “self-build” area is the first of its kind in the world but the decks, sides and nets will only be made available to use during staffed sessions.
They join two massive barges and a host of other facilities at the playground which has delighted many of the area’s children.
The playground has, however, been plagued by a number of problems since it started being built last summer with the two 65-foot barges being attacked days after they were installed causing thousands of pounds of damage.
Angry residents have also claimed that their lives have been made a misery since the playground has been built suggesting that drunken youths have “taken it over”.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
For opening hours, to check the times of staffed sessions and to find out more about the adventure playground, log on to: www.wisbechadventureplay.net