Centre is just the business
Fenland District Council s Open for Business agenda is certainly bearing fruit in Chatteris, with the South Fens Business Centre now fully occupied exactly two years after it was opened. The council owns and operates the business centre, which has 45 sepa
Fenland District Council's Open for Business agenda is certainly bearing fruit in Chatteris, with the South Fens Business Centre now fully occupied exactly two years after it was opened.
The council owns and operates the business centre, which has 45 separate units offering a range of managed office space for start-ups and more established businesses.
The 100 per cent occupancy rate is living proof that the co-ordinated policy and strategy for attracting knowledge-based businesses to the Fens is working. The success of the strategy is set to be boosted still further when The Boathouse business centre, sister to the South Fens Business Centre, opens in Wisbech next year as part of the multi-million pound award-winning Nene Waterfront Regeneration Project.
For several years Fenland's Open For Business agenda has focused on broadening the economic base of Fenland away from low wage industries to knowledge-based businesses. As part of that agenda,Fenland last year re-aligned its economic aspirations towards Cambridge as part of a strategy to offer the hi-tech businesses which struggle to find suitable and affordable accommodation in the city, with more cost-effective options with room to grow in Fenland. The 100 per cent occupancy in the Chatteris business centre is proof that this strategy is working successfully.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Alan Melton, portfolio holder for economic and business development, said: "The economic future for Fenland looks bright. I am delighted that our South Fens Business Centre is now full. It shows our aspirations are bearing fruit. When The Boathouse comes on stream next autumn, it will provide another major shot in the arm to the economy of Fenland.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend