Charity trekkers take one step closer to Peru’s Inca Trail with fundraising party
A PAIR of charity hikers have taken one step closer to Peru after raising more than �1,200 with a party and raffle.
Youth workers Laura Burgess and Alice Goose hosted the disco at Mendis in Wisbech - with support from family, friends and a host of Fenland businesses.
The pair, joined by colleague Vicki Wright, will travel to Peru in May to hike the 26-mile Inca Trail for Macmillan Cancer Support.
They need to raise �3,700 each, with 65 per cent of the money going straight to the charity and the rest used to cover the cost of the expedition.
Ms Burgess said: “We raised an incredible �1,285 with the party. We would like to say a massive thank you to Mendis for providing the venue for free and also to all the local businesses who supported by donating prizes for the raffle.
“These included Robert Goddards, Loafers, Terry’s Diner, The Luxe, Beauty Secrets, Fully Booked, Pro Clean, The Octagon Gallery, Knights Hill Spa, Brantano and also friends and family who donated more prizes.”
• To make a donation to the charity trekkers visit their Just Giving pages at: www.justgiving.com/Laura-Burgess3 and www.justgiving.com/Alice-Goose
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
Donations can also be made via text message. Text BWRH84 (for Laura) or XAXH66 (for Alice) followed by the amount you wish to donate to 70070.