Charity trekkers take one step closer to Peru’s Inca Trail with fundraising party
A PAIR of charity hikers have taken one step closer to Peru after raising more than �1,200 with a party and raffle.
Youth workers Laura Burgess and Alice Goose hosted the disco at Mendis in Wisbech - with support from family, friends and a host of Fenland businesses.
The pair, joined by colleague Vicki Wright, will travel to Peru in May to hike the 26-mile Inca Trail for Macmillan Cancer Support.
They need to raise �3,700 each, with 65 per cent of the money going straight to the charity and the rest used to cover the cost of the expedition.
Ms Burgess said: “We raised an incredible �1,285 with the party. We would like to say a massive thank you to Mendis for providing the venue for free and also to all the local businesses who supported by donating prizes for the raffle.
You may also want to watch:
“These included Robert Goddards, Loafers, Terry’s Diner, The Luxe, Beauty Secrets, Fully Booked, Pro Clean, The Octagon Gallery, Knights Hill Spa, Brantano and also friends and family who donated more prizes.”
• To make a donation to the charity trekkers visit their Just Giving pages at: www.justgiving.com/Laura-Burgess3 and www.justgiving.com/Alice-Goose
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
Donations can also be made via text message. Text BWRH84 (for Laura) or XAXH66 (for Alice) followed by the amount you wish to donate to 70070.