Chatteris fire station commander prepares for a charity skydive
- Credit: Archant
DAREDEVIL fire commander Richard Dykes is planning a 13,000ft freefall skydive to celebrate nearly 30 years of active fire service duty.
Station Commander Dykes - who is the station commander responsible for Chatteris fire station and is a risk manager for Fenland - is taking on the challenge on Sunday August 4 to raise funds for The Fire Fighters Charity.
Grandfather-of-five Richard is taking the giant leap of faith not only to mark his own big milestone, but also to commemorate the 70th anniversary
of the charity.
The 52-year-old said: “I’ve been thinking about doing a tandem skydive for a long time, and I thought what better opportunity than to jump in celebration of 70 years of such a wonderful charity.
You may also want to watch:
“The Fire Fighters Charity does good work for aging, injured and disabled firefighters and their families and it’s important to make sure these people get the treatment and healthy retirement like all others who have worked in the service.
“The charity points them the way and gives people support when they need it most and is extremely valuable to everyone in the service.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Richard will be doing his skydive at Sibson Aerodrome. To sponsor him, log on to http://www.justgiving.com/Richard-Dykes.