Chatteris firm Stainless Metalcraft leading way with ground-breaking new cancer treatment
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland manufacturer is playing a key role in the development of a ground-breaking new treatment for cancer patients.
Stainless Metalcraft, of Chatteris, is providing specialist components for use in the ViewRay system – the first and only MRI-guided radiation system in the world.
The ViewRay system allows doctors to view a patient’s internal anatomy in real time, keeping radiation beams on target when a tumour moves during treatment.
It has been installed in a number of US hospitals, including the Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri.
Austen Adams, managing director at Stainless Metalcraft, said: “This is a truly exciting project to be part of.
You may also want to watch:
“The team is already one of the leading suppliers of components for MRI machines around the world and our specialist understanding of these systems and the manufacturing processes involved meant we were perfectly placed to take on a component development role for this project.”
In 1981, Stainless Metalcraft built the world’s first MRI scanners and, today, more than 50 per cent of the MRI scanners used throughout the world contain their components.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned