Chatteris gets ready for the big Christmas lights switch on ceremony
THE Christmas lights in Chatteris attract visitors from around the eastern counties, and after six weeks of hard work by volunteers, this year’s impressive display is ready to be lit up for the festive season.
The switching on ceremony - due to take place at 4pm on December 1 - has become a highlight in the town’s calendar, and offers an afternoon of entertainment for all the family.
A pupil from Kingfields School will be nominated to flick the switch, assisted by Christmas lights committee chairman Chris Savill, and Father Christmas.
Several of the churches in town will be holding special events, with St Peter and St Paul’s Church hosting a Christmas tree festival, the Salvation Army holding a Christmas fair, and the Emmanual Church running a soup kitchen.
The streets will be closed from midday to allow the fun fair and other stalls to set up, and there will be a variety of community stalls outside the church. The Variante Ensemble will play festive music in the Market Hill Gardens.
The voluntary organisation that lights up Chatteris, is celebrating its 27th anniversary.
Committee chairman Chris Savill said: “We have been lucky over the years to have a hard core of volunteers who help us to put up the lights, but we are always keen to see new people coming along to help, those with a knowledge of electrics are especially welcome.”
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 3 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 8 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 9 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 10 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
The lighting display includes two miles of festoon cabling, 3,000 lights, about 200 wall and post fittings, and two 30-foot trees which are set up outside the church and in Market Hill Gardens.
To join the Chatteris Christmas Lights volunteers or to make a donation, please contact Chris Savill on 07528 596281 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org