Chatteris maths genius Sophie is awarded in a national challenge
- Credit: Archant
A Chatteris student has been awarded for high achievement in a national maths challenge.
Sophie Carrick, in year 8, took part in the junior maths challenge, awarded by the United Kingdom Maths Trust, UKMT.
Sophie received certificates for best in school, best in year plus a gold certificate and in addition she got through to the Junior Kangaroo round and gained a qualification in that category.
Jackie Harding said: “This is a great achievement for Sophie as she is only in her second year of secondary school.”
The UKMT is a registered charity whose aim is to advance the education of young people in mathematics.
You may also want to watch:
It was established in 1996 and last year more than 650,000 pupils from 4,500 schools took part.
Each challenge leads to a follow-on round with high performers offered mentoring to be in the UK team in the International Mathematical Olympiad.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire