Chatteris Metalcraft welder up for national Skillweld 2014 award to find country’s top trainee welder
- Credit: Archant
A talented young welder at has been selected as one of ten finalists of a national welding skills competition.
James Simpson, who works at Metalcraft in Chatteris, will compete in the final of SkillWeld 2014 at the NEC in Birmingham next month.
The 19 year old former Cromwell Community College student is in his third year at Metalcraft and is studying engineering at The College of West Anglia Isle campus.
Mr Simpson said: “When I saw the apprenticeship at Metalcraft, I knew they were a big company and I knew they had a lot to offer, so I was delighted when I was given the role and put forward to enter SkillWeld 2014.”
Metalcraft’s managing director, Austen Adams said: “This is a tremendous achievement and we’re very proud of James.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re committed to giving young people the skills, experience and qualifications they need to thrive and innovate in a fast-changing world and it’s great to see one of our apprentices embracing this opportunity and having such success.”
- 1 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 2 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Man who sent deputy Labour leader threatening email spared jail
- 8 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 9 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused