Chatteris school takes a step back in time with an exhibition inspired by a surprise find of old photographs dating back to the 1950s
- Credit: Archant
A primary school has discovered hundreds of historical photos showcasing old classes, sports teams and the building which has inspired a plea for more old pictures for an exhibition in April.
Kingsfield Primary School discovered the collection, which dates back to the early 1950’s, while clearing out old archives.
“It was wonderful to find decades of memories from our school,” said headteacher Joanne Tomlins.
“Initially we spent some time identifying current staff and some of our parents as children here, and then realised what a wonderful experience this was, to sit together and discuss stories of how things used to be.
“The staff and I decided it would be a fantastic opportunity to open our doors to the local community,” Mrs Tomlins continued.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re really looking forward to holding an event where former teachers, support staff and pupils can visit the school, share memories and stories, and experience Kingsfield as it is now.”
As a result of the discovery, Kingsfield are holding a photo exhibition in conjunction with Chatteris Museum where the photos will now be stored.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
The exhibition will showcase the collection, in addition to more recent photos of Burnsfield and King Edward schools, taken from the school archives and the museum.
The school is an amalgamation of King Edward and Burnsfield schools, and the collection is that of Dennis Hall, headmaster of King Edward between 1949 and 1978.
Around 20 albums were discovered by staff, all of which were in perfect condition, and illustrate the old King Edward school over which Mr Hall presided – now the Chatteris Community Centre.
The exhibition is at Kingsfield Primary on April 22 and 23.
The school is appealing to anybody who has old photos, including class photos, of either school from the 1970’s to the 1990’s to contact Sarah Marsden on 01354 692323.