Chatteris snooker star Perry proud of best ever season
- Credit: Archant
Joe Perry says he has no regrets despite coming agonisingly close to pulling off one of the biggest wins of his career.
The Chatteris star led Ronnie O’Sullivan 11-9 in the second round of the World Snooker Championships at the Crucible but the five time champion produced an inspired four frames to win 13-11.
At 11-11, O’Sullivan made two centuries to clinch his place in the quarter finals.
Perry said: “The whole match I believed I was going to win. Even at 12-11 down I thought I could get back in to it.
“I have no regrets at all. I gave it everything and played really well. Unfortunately I was up against O’Sullivan and he is hard to play against in that form.”
Perry has had an impressive season - he won a tournament carrying ranking points for the first time at the 2013 Yixing Open, beating Mark Selby 4-1 in the final.
There were also semi final runs in the International Championship and Welsh Open as Perry worked his way back into the world’s top 16.
- 1 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 2 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 3 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 4 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 5 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 6 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 7 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 8 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 9 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 10 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
He said: “This will go down as my best season ever as a pro. I won my first tournament carrying ranking points and got back in the top 16.
“Now I’m going to have a few weeks off and will start practising again the week before my first qualifier at the end of May.”