Chatteris sorting office to close with staff relocated to neighbouring March
CHATTERIS sorting office will close next summer with its staff relocated to March, Royal Mail announced today.
Chatteris Delivery Office, in Park Street, will relocate to the Dartford Road sorting office in March in 2012 with planning for the move taking place in the coming months.
Royal Mail insist the move will provide improved working conditions, secure employment and allow them to run a more cost effective operation. There will be no compulsory redundancies as a result of the decision.
Nicola Scrivings, Royal Mail’s Anglia Operations Director, said: “We are telling our people about the move now before the detailed planning starts.
“We want to be able to work with our people on the change and have the opportunity to discuss the implications with individuals.”
You may also want to watch:
The move comes after figures were released showing that Royal Mail deliver 18 million fewer letters every day compared to five years ago.
A spokesman for Royal Mail said the interest of the company’s customers would be considered as a “top priority” during the operational change which will not take place before the summer of 2012.
- 1 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 2 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 3 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 6 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 7 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 8 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 9 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 10 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
The spokesman also said that staff would be reimbursed for any extra mileage they will incur as a result of the move.