Chatteris student receives Oscar type award for young people at YOPEY event
- Credit: Archant
A 16 year old who taught herself music by watching You Tube videos is among students who were presented with an award at an event that celebrates the achievements of young people.
Sophie Freer, a Year 12 student at Cromwell Community College, has received one of the Cambridgeshire Young People of The Year awards (YOPEY).
She was presented this at the ceremony in Cambridge.
Sophie Frear dedicates much of her spare time to helping vulnerable teenagers while also tutoring her classmates and helping youngsters learn to read.
The YOPEY awards are like Oscars for youngsters in Cambridgeshire who ‘give to others’.
You may also want to watch:
Sophie, of Lancaster Way, Chatteris, was nominated by class mate Casey Fitzgerald from Cromwell Community College for the support she has given him.
Casey said: “Sophie is caring and always looks out for others before herself.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 6 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
“She’s tutored me as well as three others for free during the GCSEs.”