Chatteris student receives Oscar type award for young people at YOPEY event
- Credit: Archant
A 16 year old who taught herself music by watching You Tube videos is among students who were presented with an award at an event that celebrates the achievements of young people.
Sophie Freer, a Year 12 student at Cromwell Community College, has received one of the Cambridgeshire Young People of The Year awards (YOPEY).
She was presented this at the ceremony in Cambridge.
Sophie Frear dedicates much of her spare time to helping vulnerable teenagers while also tutoring her classmates and helping youngsters learn to read.
The YOPEY awards are like Oscars for youngsters in Cambridgeshire who ‘give to others’.
You may also want to watch:
Sophie, of Lancaster Way, Chatteris, was nominated by class mate Casey Fitzgerald from Cromwell Community College for the support she has given him.
Casey said: “Sophie is caring and always looks out for others before herself.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
“She’s tutored me as well as three others for free during the GCSEs.”