WATCH: ‘Mothballed’ out of town Tesco in Chatteris becomes Poundstretcher superstore
- Credit: Archant
Early arrivals at the new 21,000 square foot Poundstretcher in Chatteris have revealed all about their experience and what they would like to see in the vacant space next door.
Tesco originally won permission for the £22million superstore on Fenland Way in 2012 - that promised 250 jobs for Chatteris.
Two years later the building was complete and everything was ready to go ahead.
But in January 2015 the company announced they were pulling out of the project.
The store became one of 49 called off by Tesco following a downturn in financial fortunes.
You may also want to watch:
Now a Poundstretcher, the store is only half the size originally planned for Tesco - leaving 26,500 square feet of space still looking for a prospective tenant.
We headed down to see what the new super saving store is like and got your opinions on what should move in next door.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“It is one of the biggest Poundstretchers I have ever seen,” said an early customer, clearly overwhelmed by how far her tenner might stretch.
Another early arrival headed for some of the store’s eclectic treasure: “It has bargain prices for meal worms for my birds” she said.
Another customer batted the question of image and whether his friends and neighbours would be happy being seen amidst the myriad of bargain buys.
“My advice to them and anyone else is simple,” he said. “Get over here and get looking because once you get here you’ll find an awful lot more than you think.”
Another felt it “will make shopping a lot better for a lot of people – it saves going to Tesco” – which is ironic.