Anglia in Bloom 2020 Virtual Campaign: ‘Thank You Garden’ wins Best Community Effort
- Credit: © Terry Harris
The ‘Best Community Effort’ award at this year’s now virtual Anglia in Bloom ceremony has gone to a Fenland ‘Thank You Garden’.
In a joint contribution, the garden – entered by Chatteris In Bloom – thanked the NHS, key workers, Captain Tom and celebrated VE Day.
The Chatteris Royal British Legion Youth Section put together the special VE Day bed.
Becky Cooper, youth officer, said: “A call out went on Facebook for members of the community to come along and add to the beds in their own time and in their own ways – adhering to social distancing.
“Each day the beds got more and more added to them from families, local schools, businesses and community groups.
You may also want to watch:
“The Chatteris Royal British Legion Youth Section did the VE Day Memorial bed which featured an almost life size silhouette of a Tommy.
“To compliment this every household in the town was encouraged to put out bunting for VE Day and sit in their gardens on May 8 for tea and scones at 3pm.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
“Facebook was literally filled with pictures of everyone’s bunting and tea-parties. It was fabulous to see. It really was a true community effort.”
The area has five separate beds which are usually all looked after by volunteers and last were sponsored by local groups and businesses for the first time.
To view all of the 2020 Anglia in Bloom winners, visit: www.angliainbloom.co.uk