Chatteris war memorial gets a clean ahead of First World War centenary year Remembrance commemorations
- Credit: Archant
Preparations have stepped up for this year’s Remembrance commemorations.
After a request from the Chatteris Royal British Legion, Fenland District Council sent in a professional team to clean the town’s war memorial.
Norman Larke, chairman of Chatteris Royal British Legion, who launched their poppy appeal today, said: “We asked FDC to see if they could clean it. We are very pleased and impressed with how the memorial looks.
“It just needs a little more work then hopefully it will look perfect for the Remembrance weekend.”
A Fenland District Council spokesman said: “In this First World War centenary year we’re making a special effort to ensure all our towns’ memorials are in perfect condition in time for the Remembrance commemorations.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as normal cleaning, this year we have also put an extra £5,000 into some repointing and repainting.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder