Cheffins to auction more than 3,000 classic steam engines, tractors, cars and motorcycles at Sutton sale
- Credit: Archant
More than 3,000 pieces of vintage machinery – including classic steam engines, vintage tractors, specialist cars and rare motorcycles – will go under the hammer later this month.
Cheffins holds its vintage machinery auction at its showground, in Sutton, on Saturday, April 25. It the largest auction of its type in the country.
Among the ‘stars’ of the show will be a 1907 Foden Showmans steam engine, a 1909 Fowler traction engine, a 1908 Marshall traction engine and a 1933 Sentinel DG6 steam wagon.
Farming enthusiasts can choose from more than 200 vintage and classic tractors, headed by an ultra-rare 1966 Doe-130.
There is also a well restored David Brown 50D and an extremely low-houred Ford 6640. Other makes and models include Austin, Field Marshall, Roadless, Lanz Bulldog and John Deere.
You may also want to watch:
Of particular note will also be a 1970 Massey Ferguson 135 – restored in a unique livery to reflect Harry Ferguson’s original ‘Black Tractor’ of 1933.
Cheffins auctioneer Oliver Godfrey said: “The restoration has been completed to a very high standard using many new parts and close attention to detail, even down to a black enamelled manifold.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“It’s certain to turn heads and is definitely a change from the usual Massey red.”
Other vehicles to go under the hammer include a 1949 Dennis Lancet Duple coach, Atkinson Weightmaster, GMC CCKW 353 Pontoon Bolster, Foden OG4/6 recovery truck, ERF 56TS six-wheeler, Rolls Royce Shadow II and a Cadillac Calais.
Mr Godfrey said a 1966 Fiat Nuova 500F ‘Cinquecento’ barn find could be of particular interest to collectors and enthusiasts alike.
“It has an immaculate interior and is a real time warp,” he said. “Some restoration work is required to the exterior, but a more original example would be hard to find.”
The selection of motorbikes includes a Royal Enfield Model KX, Ariel 4Gs mark one and mark two, a BSA J12 with Swallow 9D, a JAP V twin ‘Lyclone’ and a Phoenix-JAP racing bike.
Mr Godfrey said: “This is our flagship sale and we’re delighted with the quality and range of machinery that we have available. There are some super lots that are certain to be of huge interest. There’s something for every vintage enthusiast.”
The sale begins at 9am. For more details visit www.cheffins.co.uk/vintage