Chemical company prosecuted for pollution of River Nene which killed thousands of fish
- Credit: Archant
THOUSANDS of fish died and thousands more were harmed by 5,000 litres of agricultural chemicals that leaked into the River Nene in Peterborough last June, magistrates heard.
Some of the fish were bleached and others leapt from the water and died along the affected 30 mile stretch of water.
Chemical manufacturer and packaging company Safapac pleaded guilty at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday to causing the pollution on June 18 2012 but claimed the leak was caused by vandals who damaged containers.
The case has been sent to the crown court for sentence as magistrates felt their sentencing powers were insufficient.
The leak released an insecticide, fungicide and disinfectant into the river.
You may also want to watch:
All three chemicals are very toxic to aquatic organisms and can cause burns, drowsiness or dizziness to people.
The effect on the River Nene was seen as far as Wisbech and cockle fishing in The Wash was quarantined and closed from June 19-21 by the regulatory authority.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
Peterborough and District Angling Association had to cancel fishing matches and members also cancelled because of the pollution, costing the club £928.
Two cockle fishermen claimed they lost more than £10,000.
The pollution’s total cost to the members of the Greater Wash Fishing Industries Group was estimated to be £216,772.