Chemical leak at Ramsey Forty Foot - tractor falls into ditch, causing 40 litres of weed killer to escape
- Credit: Archant
A tractor containing weed killer fell into a ditch, causing a chemical leak at the Forty Foot Bank, on Saturday.
At 8.15am, crews from Ramsey, Chatteris, St Neots and the hazardous material unit were called to a chemical leak following an incident in Forty Foot Bank, Ramsey Forty Foot.
A tractor had ended up in a ditch. The driver was out of the cab on the arrival of the fire service and in the care of the ambulance service.
A small leak of commercial weed killer had occurred and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used putty and pads from an environmental pack to stem the leak and make it safe.
The total spillage was confirmed at 40 litres of diluted weed killer, which was then further diluted with water from the fire engine and allowed to drain into the earth in agreement with the Environment Agency.
You may also want to watch:
The B1096 was closed and a cordon was put in place while the incident was dealt with.
Crews returned to their stations by 12.40pm.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car