Children and Families Minister Robert Goodwill visits East Cambridgeshire - one of 12 Opportunity Areas set to benefit from extra Government cash
- Credit: Archant
The Minister for Children and Families visited Ely College this morning (16) to hear from students on how their education can be improved.
MP Robert Goodwill chatted to students during his visit to East Cambridgeshire, which, along with Fenland, is one of 12 areas set to benefit from an extra £6 million of Government funding as part of its ‘Opportunity Areas’ programme.
East Cambs and Fenland were identified by Education Secretary Justine Greening, as areas where social mobility was at its lowest and, in a move backed by NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay, added them to her list of areas to receive more cash until 2020.
Minister for Children and Families, Robert Goodwill, said: “No child should be held back from achieving their full potential because of where they are from. The Opportunity Area programme aims to drive social mobility so that all children have access to high-quality education and can reach their aspirations.
“I was delighted to see how these two schools are contributing to the work of the Opportunity Area programme in Fenland and East Cambridgeshire, and look forward to hearing more about how they are helping to improve outcomes for young people living here.”
You may also want to watch:
As part of the programme, Littleport Community Primary School will receive £200,000 to become the focal point of evidence-based practice in East Cambs and Fenland and build networks between large numbers of schools, and more money will be made available for mentoring and career advice across the area.
MP Barclay hailed the news as “the best day of his six years in Parliament” following the announcement in January.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory