Chip pan fire in Pinewood Avenue, Whittlesey causes ‘extensive damage’ to kitchen and leaves man with burnt forehead
- Credit: Archant
A chip pan fire in Pinewood Avenue, Whittlesey caused “extensive damage” to a kitchen and left a man with burnt forehead yesterday.
Two crews from Whittlesey and Stanground were called to the blaze at 5.52pm after the occupants of the house left a chip pan unattended on the cooker.
A smoke alarm had alerted the occupants to the fire. They then used a fire blanket in an attempt to extinguish the fire before shutting the kitchen door to prevent the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.
A man living at the address was treated for minor burns to his forehead at the scene.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a dry powder extinguisher to extinguish the chip pan fire and a hose reel to dampen down surrounding cupboards that had caught fire. Crews returned to their stations by 7.09pm.
You may also want to watch:
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people in the run up to Christmas not to leave chip pans unattended.
Station Commander Giles Grainger said: “I would like to take this opportunity to remind people not to leave chip pans unattended and to advise them to use a thermostatically controlled chip pan as an alternative.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
“This incident also highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home.
“Around half of all house fires start in the kitchen. The main cause is cooking with around a quarter of all cooking-related kitchen fires blamed on people getting distracted.”
For more information about kitchen safety, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk/kitchen-fire-safety-617.aspx