Chip pan fire in Pinewood Avenue, Whittlesey causes ‘extensive damage’ to kitchen and leaves man with burnt forehead
PUBLISHED: 11:34 21 December 2016 | UPDATED: 11:34 21 December 2016
A chip pan fire in Pinewood Avenue, Whittlesey caused “extensive damage” to a kitchen and left a man with burnt forehead yesterday.
Two crews from Whittlesey and Stanground were called to the blaze at 5.52pm after the occupants of the house left a chip pan unattended on the cooker.
A smoke alarm had alerted the occupants to the fire. They then used a fire blanket in an attempt to extinguish the fire before shutting the kitchen door to prevent the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.
A man living at the address was treated for minor burns to his forehead at the scene.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a dry powder extinguisher to extinguish the chip pan fire and a hose reel to dampen down surrounding cupboards that had caught fire. Crews returned to their stations by 7.09pm.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people in the run up to Christmas not to leave chip pans unattended.
Station Commander Giles Grainger said: “I would like to take this opportunity to remind people not to leave chip pans unattended and to advise them to use a thermostatically controlled chip pan as an alternative.
“This incident also highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home.
“Around half of all house fires start in the kitchen. The main cause is cooking with around a quarter of all cooking-related kitchen fires blamed on people getting distracted.”
For more information about kitchen safety, visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk/kitchen-fire-safety-617.aspx
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.