Chris pays tribute to war hero
A WREATH in memory of a First World War hero from March will be laid by his great nephew as part of the town s Remembrance Service on Sunday. Chris Wallis will be coming from Southampton to pay his respects to his great uncle, Sgt George Cross, who was ki
A WREATH in memory of a First World War hero from March will be laid by his great nephew as part of the town's Remembrance Service on Sunday.
Chris Wallis will be coming from Southampton to pay his respects to his great uncle, Sgt George Cross, who was killed in battle at the age of 21. His body was never found.
Mr Wallis, 42, said: "I wanted to express my thanks for what he did, so I got in touch with March Royal British Legion who agreed to me laying a wreath and a laminated picture of my great uncle. They said I was more than welcome.
"I just want to show my gratitude on behalf of myself and my family."
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Cross lived in Gas Road, March, and was stationed with the Leicestershire Regiment when he was killed in action in Epehy, France, on March 22, 1918.
Mr Wallis has embarked on a search for details about his great uncle over the past three years since he saw a picture of him when his mother was looking through some old photographs.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
His search saw him collect postcards and photographs of Sgt Cross. He has also visited Leicester Cathedral and Pozieres Memorial, also in France, where Sgt Cross is remembered.