Christmas comes early in Benwick as plans for £115,000 play area are unveiled
- Credit: Archant
The people of Benwick got an early Christmas present last week when plans for an exciting new play park were unveiled.
Details of the £115,000 project were outlined to villagers at a meeting at the existing play area on Friday (December 2).
The wide range of new equipment that is on the way from specialist manufacturer HAGS SMP will include a multi-sports area, zipwire, swings, a roundabout and seesaw, as well as a new seating area.
Funding for the project has come from WREN (£50,000), Section 106 contributions (£48,000), Fenland District Council (£13,480) and Benwick Parish Council (£3,000).
Councillor Peter Murphy, Fenland District Council’s Cabinet member responsible for the environment, said: “This is a very ambitious project for a small place like Benwick and a lot of work has gone into securing the funding for it. Now the village can look forward to having some great new equipment that people will be able to enjoy all year round.”
You may also want to watch:
Parish councillor Valerie Gobie said: “This project has been a very long time in the making and we’re pleased we’re nearly there with it. The plans look fantastic. They’ve been tailored to what we need and the children will be thrilled to bits. The sooner we can have it all in place, the better.”
Work is due to start in January, with the project expected to be completed by the end of February.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 7 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home