CHRISTMAS MESSAGES 2012: March is thriving in this difficult time
IT is always an honour and privilege to be the Mayor of March but this year it has been greater, being the Jubilee year.
March has so much to offer its residents and the town is thriving in this difficult time that we are all going through.
The St George’s Day festival started off the year’s events and each year it seems to get better. This would not be possible without the help of Mike Chapman, Fenland District Council’s events manager, and the army of volunteers he manages to get to make this a success.
The Jubilee weekend was enjoyable and the lighting of the beacon and the hog roast was attended well and many residents had their own parties.
Prior to the Jubilee weekend I attended all primary schools in March and all the children were given a Jubilee coin. Thanks go to the Rotary for supplying the plaque at the stone Cross.
You may also want to watch:
Thanks also go to Kent Memorials for supplying the plaque on the Town Bridge.
The summer festival was once again a great turnout. Once again the festival committee and its many volunteers provided a great weekend.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 6 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 10 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
The civic service was well attended. Thanks go to All Saints Primary School’s choir and the many helpers involved in organising. The collection went to the St Mary’s Church restoration fund.
The Christmas lights switch-on was once again a great success as was the Mayor’s Carol Service, held in St Peter’s Church. Thanks go to Burrowmoor and Westwood Schools’ choirs, they were superb. The collection went to St Peter’s Church fund.
I would like to thank the town councillors who have given me great support over the year, town clerk Clive Lemon and his assistant Geoff Wilkinson. A special thanks goes to the Rev Jenny Webb who is a tower of strength to the town.
Last but not least, thank you to the residents of March for your support.
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.