Circuit of the Fens set to return next summer
- Credit: Archant
ELITE cycling is set to return to Fenland next summer after the success of the first Circuit of the Fens.
More than 1,500 people lined Fenland’s roads to watch 140 riders, including Olympians and Tour de France stage winners, compete in last month’s 200km race, which began and finished in Whittlesey town centre and incorporated Pondersbridge, Ramsey Mereside, Ramsey Forty Foot and Benwick.
Discussions are ongoing between councillors, Anglia Cycling, St Ives Cycling Club and Cambridgeshire Police about staging a second edition in June 2014.
Fenland District Councillor Gary Swan said: “Race organisers Tom Caldwell, Colin Coe, myself and a few other people got together for an official de-brief and we felt the event was a real coup for the town.
“For a first time event we felt it went really well and the teams who took part were over the moon with it.
You may also want to watch:
“They said racing in the Fens was completely different to what they were used to.
“We are already starting to organise next year’s event, which we hope will be bigger and better, with more teams and riders.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
“It is staged at an ideal time, just a couple of weeks before the Tour de France.”