City centre care tent on hand for revellers this Christmas
A SPECIAL care tent will be set up to help Peterborough city centre revellers this festive season.
The facility will take pressure off Peterborough City Hospital and the ambulance service by treating those with minor ailments.
It has been operating for several years during the Christmas and New Year period and in 2011 treated more than 70 people in need of medical attention.
The care tent is run by the SaferPeterborough partnership and will be manned by 15 to 20 volunteer medical staff from a variety of agencies.
Gary Goose, from the SaferPeterborough partnership, said: “The care facility will help to ensure timely and appropriate medical care for people who are injured, ill or in need of immediate welfare support in the city centre.”
You may also want to watch:
A doctor, paramedic and a number of first-aiders will be on site to treat people that have been directed to the facility by either police, street pastors or pub and club workers.
People are also free to simply walk up to and attend the care tent.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Councillor Irene Walsh, Cabinet Member for Community Cohesion and Safety, said: “A facility like this allows us to treat people faster and remove the need for many to attend and put unnecessary pressure on Peterborough City Hospital’s emergency department.”
Treatment equipment including bedding, ice packs, blankets, first aid kits and oxygen will be in the tent.
The facility will be set up on Laxton Square next to the city market and will be open on the Friday and Saturday evenings before Christmas and on New Year’s Eve from 10pm-4am.