City centre eel throwing won’t be quite what you imagine but if that’s not for you try the eel food safari
- Credit: Archant
The humble eel will once again become the focus of an extravaganza of fun and food this May in Ely.
This year is the 10th Eel Festival - and to celebrate, activities will run from May 2-5. Organisers promise it will be bigger than ever.
This year’s event will include an eel food safari, city centre eel throwing competition, a food and drink festival on Palace Green, Ely Street Muscioniers’ Muster, a market street food fayre and all the usual fun of the festival.
A full programme of arena events in Jubilee Gardens include folk music, eel pottery workshops, dancing, historical displays and re-enactments.
Tracey Harding, tourism Team leader at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “The Eel Festival is going to be massive this year as we celebrate our 10th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
“From launching a special food and drink festival to the Ely street Muscioniers’ Muster and the food safari, we are putting together a programme of great events to celebrate Ely’s association with the humble eel.
For information on all these activities and many other fringe events visit www.visitely.org.uk or follow @visitely on Twitter.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire