Clamp down on ticket touts, urges local MP
- Credit: Archant
Sports and music fans need to be saved from being exploited by unscrupulous ticket touts, according to local MP Steve Barclay.
Mr Barclay is in favour of the changes which would stop those receiving tickets for prestigious sporting and music events at discount prices cashing in and making a fast buck.
The move came after bodies like the Rugby Football Union (RFU), the English Cricket Board and Horse Racing asked Parliament to apply transparency in a bid to end the practice where people obtaining tickets at a discount go on to sell them at inflated prices.
Mr Barclay said: “This is particularly important where tickets are deliberately sold below their market value in order to promote the sport or cultural activity concerned or when a band do not want fans to be priced out of seeing their gigs.
“An example of this is when the RFU for the six nations and rugby world cup allocate tickets to members of rugby clubs for a face value of £50/60 when the RFU could easily sell them for much more.
You may also want to watch:
“Not unreasonably the RFU in selling those tickets at a discount expects the recipient to either attend or to pass them on to another rugby fan rather than to receive them on one basis and sell them on at a massive profit.”
“In previously refusing legislation, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) have argued it is for the bodies selling tickets to enforce their own Terms & Conditions, the Lords amendment would have enabled them to do this.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“Constituents can see that through my vote I supported fans and not those receiving tickets at a discount and making a fast buck in breach of the basis for which they received that ticket and in a way that avoids money going back into the sport, band or theatre running the event.”