Fenland councillor and former cabinet member Simon King will face full conduct hearing over his expenses claims
- Credit: Archant
An external investigation will be held into alleged irregularities in expense claims by Fenland councillor Simon King, a committee has decided.
Cllr King, who is also a Cambridgeshire county councillor, has denied all wrongdoing.
In the interim he has lost his cabinet post at Fenland Council but following a decision to drop a police probe he was re-admitted to the Conservative group on the district council.
The investigation into his mileage claims date back five years.
A conduct committee at Fenland District Council this afternoon concluded that an external investigation would now be carried out, with all authorised paperwork from both parties presented.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this year a meeting was postponed after Cllr King submitted a nine-point formal complaint against the way the case has been handled
Councillor Rob Skoulding told the conduct hearing:” I have read the minutes several times and I believe I have to go with what I can see and I think an investigation needs to be carried out.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“I would like to see all the letters from officers too, so he should be given the opportunity of a hearing.”
Monitoring Officer, Fiona McMillan, said: “Clearly this matter has been going on for some time now, so the next step will be to speak to some firms who specialise in this area to independently look into this.
“I will obtain some quotes and see how long it will take so we can see where we go from here.”
A date for the full hearing is yet to be decided.