Fenland councillor and former cabinet member Simon King will face full conduct hearing over his expenses claims
- Credit: Archant
An external investigation will be held into alleged irregularities in expense claims by Fenland councillor Simon King, a committee has decided.
Cllr King, who is also a Cambridgeshire county councillor, has denied all wrongdoing.
In the interim he has lost his cabinet post at Fenland Council but following a decision to drop a police probe he was re-admitted to the Conservative group on the district council.
The investigation into his mileage claims date back five years.
A conduct committee at Fenland District Council this afternoon concluded that an external investigation would now be carried out, with all authorised paperwork from both parties presented.
Earlier this year a meeting was postponed after Cllr King submitted a nine-point formal complaint against the way the case has been handled
Councillor Rob Skoulding told the conduct hearing:” I have read the minutes several times and I believe I have to go with what I can see and I think an investigation needs to be carried out.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 3 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 6 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 7 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 8 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 9 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
“I would like to see all the letters from officers too, so he should be given the opportunity of a hearing.”
Monitoring Officer, Fiona McMillan, said: “Clearly this matter has been going on for some time now, so the next step will be to speak to some firms who specialise in this area to independently look into this.
“I will obtain some quotes and see how long it will take so we can see where we go from here.”
A date for the full hearing is yet to be decided.