Co-operative Group prepares to install seven extra turbines at Fenland farm
WORK started this week to prepare for the installation of seven more turbines at a Fenland wind farm.
The Co-operative Group’s new turbines will be installed adjacent to its existing eight turbines at Coldham.
The new turbines at the 14MW wind farm, called White Mill, will offset 26,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide each year, the group said.
Combined with the existing wind farm, a spokesman added that the turbines would also generate more than 70GW hours of electricity per year, enough to supply 16,500 homes.
Rob Ellis, the group’s sustainable development manager, said groundwork was currently being completed with the installation of the turbines expected to start in spring next year.
He said: “We are very pleased to have reached this point where we can now begin work at White Mill.
“We are also delighted to be further increasing the amount of renewable energy we are generating from our very own wind farm and contributing to the target set out in our ethical plan.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 5 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 6 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Crash on A141 caused by 'medical issue'
“The development of green energy projects is a major part of our social and community agenda as a Co-operative business.
“Most importantly, we recognise the importance of involving local people at the outset of the project and giving them direct input into all aspects of wind farm schemes.”
Mr Ellis added the new turbines would generate continued support for the community, with the Co-operative establishing a community trust
It will also extend the existing environmental education programme for schools based at the wind farm.