Coffee morning is a real winner for Ely daredevil skydiving team
- Credit: Archant
A fundraising coffee morning raised over £1,025 towards a charity team skydive planned by daredevil Network Rail workers from Ely
The 20-strong team are set to jump from a plane on August 12 and are looking to raise £7,900 by their efforts for the St Thomas’s Lupus Trust.
They have set the mammoth challenge after colleague Marcela Sands, section administrator at the Network Rail depot in Station Road, was diagnosed with Lupus last August.
The St Thomas’ Lupus Trust is a registered charity dedicated to raising funds to support vital pioneering work of the Lupus Research Team and the patient unit at St Thomas’ Hospital.
Marcela was diagnosed after an optician noticed a build-up of pressure in the left eye during a routine eye test.
You may also want to watch:
She underwent numerous tests including MRI scans before being diagnosed with Lupus.
She said: “The symptoms of Lupus are awful some days to cope with. They have a wide range including: Fatigue, flu like symptoms, constant headaches, painful and swollen joints, trouble concentrating, photosensitivity, numbness and pains in the face and head.”
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
The coffee morning on last Tuesday (10) was the first of a series of fundraising events being organised to help the team reach their target.
They had a massive array of raffle prizes and home made cakes for the event and Marcela said: “We had amazing support and we would just like to thank everyone who donated a prize. We were amazed by the amount we raised.”
In the meantime the group have launched an inhouse Bear with No Name competition and are asking More information on Lupus can be found here.
To sponsor the skydivers visit: https://www.justgiving.com/Network-Rail-Ely-Depot?utm_id=58