Coffee morning raises �500 to help restore fire-ravaged Fenland village hall
MORE than �500 was raised at a coffee morning on Saturday as efforts to restore a fire-ravaged Fenland village hall continue.
Rita and Arthur Cuss, of Townsend Road, Upwell, held the event at their house to help raise funds towards the restoration of Three Holes Village Hall.
The building has been closed since April after arsonists broke in and torched the community venue.
Mrs Cuss, secretary of the village hall committee, said: “We were really surprised, and delighted, that around 60 people attended our event.
“The village hall means a lot to the community because many people have had their wedding receptions there and its always been well used. People still feel upset about what has happened and are anxious for it to be reopened as soon as possible.
“On behalf of the whole committee I’d like to thank everybody for coming - their support and donations are always appreciated.”
Mrs Cuss said she hoped the hall could be in use by the end of the year.
- 1 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 2 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 3 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 4 Councils bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 8 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 9 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 10 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home