March coffee morning success to mark 50 years of fundraising
- Credit: Harry Rutter
Hundreds attended a coffee morning to mark 50 years of fundraising by the March, Chatteris and District Fundraising Committee for Macmillan Cancer Support.
The commemorative event was held on Friday between 10am and 2pm at St Peter’s Church Hall, in March, to thank those who have supported them over the years.
Delicious homemade cakes, biscuits and sausage rolls were on offer as dozens packed into the hall without a seat to spare as more than £300 was raised.
Volunteer Josephine Fried said: “We have had overwhelming success this morning and around 200 people came to share a cuppa and a cake. We had to get more tables out to seat people.
“The majority of the cakes were baked by our members and everyone appears to have enjoyed them.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer at some point in their lives so to be able to fundraise means we can give something back.”
She added: “Our sincere thanks go to all the supporters who attended.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
“Although the above event was primarily an opportunity for us to say thank you to our local community for 50 years of support, through the generosity of those attending we actually raised £375.86 for Macmillan Cancer Support. This enables Macmillan to continue to provide emotional, financial, medical and practical support to local people affected by cancer.”
The group has worked tirelessly over the years to raise vital funds to support people affected by cancer in Cambridgeshire.
In 2017, the committee raised a total of £29,378 through events such as lunches, raffles, cake sales and collections.
A 5k walk is also set to take place on April 29.
Please contact the team directly if you would like further information or to get involved on 07961 507515 or MarchMacmillanCommittee@yahoo.co.uk.