Community group aims fire at anti-immigration protest in mission statement
- Credit: Archant
AN anti-immigration demonstration planned for Wisbech next month has once again come under fire from a newly formed community group.
In their mission statement “We are Wisbech”, who held their first meeting last month, claim the protest “aims to divide the community”.
The group has vowed to set up a “We are Wisbech” Facebook page to rival the popular “Wisbech Immigration Issues” page, which has attracted more than 1,000 followers.
A spokesman for the We Are Wisbech committee said: “One of the organisers, Dean Everitt, says he doesn’t want to cause trouble yet their Facebook page shows that the group’s members aren’t so careful about stirring up distrust and hatred.
“He also appeared on Popcorn Community TV saying he doesn’t want investment to make Wisbech better because that would “only attract more immigrants”.
You may also want to watch:
“They only want to exaggerate problems and use immigrants as a scapegoat. They’re not interested in positive solutions. We are.
“We have no plans to stage a counter-demonstration in Wisbech park on the same day. We’re turning our backs on the anti-immigration “protest,” and we urge others to do the same.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash