Community label is better option
Like many local people I’m sure, I have not used the ex-RAF Hospital in Ely unless I have been sent there.
I don’t know it’s opening hours, I don’t know what services are offered and if I do attend I don’t think there is anybody on reception to direct me.
It does not surprise me that the clinical commissioning group (CCG) say it is not cost effective.
It is also not surprising that Addenbrooke’s, Hinchingbrooke and the local GPs are already very overcrowded. Of course it is madness to consider reduction or closure at the same time as thousands of much needed new homes are being built on the other side of the hospital boundary fence! And all over East Cambs.
What is needed:
You may also want to watch:
• Drop the meaningless “Minor Accident Unit” title and call it “Ely Community Hospital”
• Meet Keogh standards (Open 8am to midnight with a Doctor always in attendance)
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
• Regularly tell the public and other health workers (press, PR, public meetings) what services are offered and if not to go to A&E or the local GP.
I believe that if the community hospital was used to it’s full capacity that the pressure on overworked GPs and Adumbrate’s would reduce. The patients could in many cases be dealt with locally saving much stress and delayed treatment - an all round better solution.
Such actions would of course guarantee the long term future of this much valued local facility which should grow, be used more and not contract. My views will not change and I guess the same applies at Doddington and Wisbech.
County Cllr Haddenham Division
District Cllr Stretham Ward