Community rally round after thieves stole a giant gazebo from March District Guides
- Credit: Archant
Thieves walked off with a three by nine metre gazebo which was put up in a field on the outskirts of March for shelter from the sun for a guiding it’s a knockout competition.
Organisers set up the triple gazebo and other smaller tents at around 3pm at Fox’s Marina and walked back and forth carrying items needed for the evening turn event for 200 girls.
At about 5pm somebody spotted the £300 gazebo was gone.
Paula Syred, of Fox’s Marina, who has been involved with guiding in the area for 30 years, said: “Somebody spotted two men walking towards West End with what they thought was a giant white sheet. That was our gazebo. I can’t believe they took it in broad daylight from under our noses.
“It was bought earlier this year especially for events like this for shelter from the sun or rain.
“On a plus side the girls still had a fantastic time and the community are rallying round to raise momey for a new one.”
March Mayor Councillor Rob Skoulding: “Despite this upsetting event, it was a great evening and all the children enjoyed themselves.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 6 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
“The leaders give up so much time to put on these events for the children and are understandably extremely upset about what has happened.
“A few of us have started a collection for a replacement, if anyone wants to contribute, you can drop it into The Town Hall or give it directly to one of the leaders.”