Community rally round after thieves stole a giant gazebo from March District Guides
- Credit: Archant
Thieves walked off with a three by nine metre gazebo which was put up in a field on the outskirts of March for shelter from the sun for a guiding it’s a knockout competition.
Organisers set up the triple gazebo and other smaller tents at around 3pm at Fox’s Marina and walked back and forth carrying items needed for the evening turn event for 200 girls.
At about 5pm somebody spotted the £300 gazebo was gone.
Paula Syred, of Fox’s Marina, who has been involved with guiding in the area for 30 years, said: “Somebody spotted two men walking towards West End with what they thought was a giant white sheet. That was our gazebo. I can’t believe they took it in broad daylight from under our noses.
“It was bought earlier this year especially for events like this for shelter from the sun or rain.
You may also want to watch:
“On a plus side the girls still had a fantastic time and the community are rallying round to raise momey for a new one.”
March Mayor Councillor Rob Skoulding: “Despite this upsetting event, it was a great evening and all the children enjoyed themselves.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
“The leaders give up so much time to put on these events for the children and are understandably extremely upset about what has happened.
“A few of us have started a collection for a replacement, if anyone wants to contribute, you can drop it into The Town Hall or give it directly to one of the leaders.”