Company boss Ashley comes to the rescue of an 89 year old great grandfather after mobility scooter stolen
- Credit: Archant
GENEROUS businessman Ashley Smith stepped in to put an 89 year- old great grandfather back on the road after thieves stole his electric scooter.
When Mr Smith, director of East Anglian Mobility Warehouse, heard about Gordon England’s stolen scooter he offered him a new £1,200 Shoprider Sovereign to get him back to independence.
Mr England had only owned the maroon Sapphire LS2 since January but on Monday night it was stolen from his car port. He had bought the scooter after he found himself struggling to walk distances and was overjoyed to find it gave him back the freedom to go out with his 87 year old wife Evelyn.
Mr Smith, who spent three years in a wheelchair following a car crash in 2002 said: “I was told I would never walk again so I understand the frustration of struggling to get around and I wanted to help out.”
He added: “Running my business means I see people on a daily basis whose lives are changed thanks to having the freedom of mobility so understand how devastating it must have been for him.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr England, the former Hereward School, March, caretaker said: “The scooter gave me my independence; it was my life and without it I was feeling severely restricted.
“I am honestly overwhelmed that someone would want to give me a new one like this.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
FULL STORY OF ASHLEY’S GENEROUS DONATION IN THIS WEEK’S CAMBS TIMES, OUT ON FRIDAY.