Concerns with low turnout at by election for Fenland vacancy on Cambs County Council
WHILST we have no particular thought as to the outcome of the by election for the Fenland vacancy on Cambridgeshire County Council caused by the death of Councillor John West, we feel entitled to raise an eyebrow over the low turnout.
With the impact of Government cuts now cascading through local government, here was an ideal opportunity to express an opinion.
With the principal three parties in contention, an obvious moment then for the electorate to vent its support or anger at the cuts and to do so in a tangible form.
It was not to be as four out of every five voters decided either to stay at home through choice or, quite probably, never realised an opportunity had presented itself to pass either support or judgement.
Whilst the by election briefly held possibilities of a change (the election had thrown up an 18-year-old Labour candidate and a 23-year-old Lib Dem) neither, it must be confessed, brought much weight to bear in a ward where a well oiled Conservative machine was at work to ensure their own supporters were encouraged to get out and vote.
You may also want to watch:
With the whole of Fenland being invited to cast votes in a few weeks for the district council, we hope for a higher level of political engagement.
There’s been mutterings of independent candidates coming forward to offer a purposeful challenge, and in a few pockets of Fenland there appears a resurgence of interest in support for the Lib Dems and for Labour.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 5 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
But if the Conservatives do, as is likely, retain control we hope that at best they have been subject to rigorous scrutiny and at worst they have been forced to fight all 40 seats.