Confidential support line launched by Unite for zero hours workers following ‘The secrets of Sports Direct’
Britain’s largest union, Unite, has launched a confidential advice and support line as part of a campaign to confront abusive ‘Victorian’ work practices at Sports Direct.
The move follows Channel 4’s recent Dispatches programme: ‘The secrets of Sports Direct’, which exposed a zero hours contract workforce in constant fear of losing their jobs.
According to the programme, workers face a ‘six strikes and you’re out’ disciplinary procedure. Workers can get strikes for long toilet breaks, excessive chatting and even having time off for sickness.
Sport Direct’s shameful business model has no place on the high streets of 21st century Britain.
The confidential Unite hotline allows workers to get advice and support on workplace abuses at Sports Direct. For help workers need to call 0333 323 1441.
Member, Unite the Union
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens