Cooking pan filled with hot oil causes fire in Walton
- Credit: Archant
Crews from Dogsthorpe and Peterborough Volunteer Fire Brigade were called to a flat fire in Frederick Drive, Walton, on Monday.
The fire is believed to have broken out in a cooking pan filled with hot oil.
Crew Commander Nick Brown, said: “When the resident realised there was a fire, he tried to pick up the pan and put it outside but in the process, suffered burns and caused hot oil to splatter on furniture, which began to smoulder.”
The resident was out of the property on the arrival of the fire service and was left in the care of the ambulance service.
Firefighters used a hose reel to extinguish smouldering furniture and positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke.
You may also want to watch:
CC Brown added: “We would encourage residents to avoid filling deep pans with oil and instead find alternative ways to cook food or use specially design deep fat fryers and never leave them unattended.
“Most importantly, if a pan of oil does catch fire, do not attempt to move it outside. If you can, turn off the hob and place a damp tea towel or fire blanket over it, then get out, stay out, and dial 999 for the fire service.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Crews returned to their stations by 5.05pm.