Cosmopolitan scout group to launch at Orchards School in Wisbech later this month
- Credit: Archant © 2007
A SCOUT group will launch in Wisbech later this month which will welcome more than 50 young people from across Europe.
The 2nd Wisbech Orchards Group opens its first meeting in the grounds of The Orchards School, Wisbech, on February 27 at 3.15pm.
The new recruits will make their promise “to do their best” in Lithuanian, Roma, Polish, Latvian, Slovakian and English. Orchards Church of England Primary and Nursery School head teacher Nicola Parker was instrumental in bringing scouting to the school.
She said: “When the staff heard about the idea of having a scouting group at school, I was amazed by the positive response from so many members of staff.
“Within days of asking two teachers came forward and asked if they could take on the project of developing scouting within the school.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m thrilled as this fits with my vision to enhance the school curriculum with a broad range of after school clubs, which engage the children and create an exciting provision which is just not possible to fit into the school day.”
John Cundy, scout leader, said: “When I heard that a new group was going to start just around the corner I knew this would be something special, and I wanted to be involved and inspire more adults to join in scouting, giving up their time for the rich rewards that come from being a scout leader.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Scouting in Cambridgeshire is enjoyed by 7,500 active members on every night of the week throughout the year.
For more information about joining scouting contact www.scouts.org.uk/join or call the Scouts Information line on 0845 3001818