Cost of petrol in the Fens
EVER since moving to March in 2005, one thing has always puzzled me.
No matter how much the cost of petrol and diesel, this area (really from March to Soham) is consistently about 5p per litre (22p per gallon) dearer than elsewhere.
I know fuel isn’t cheap anywhere at the moment, but why do we pay such a premium? As for LPG, even motorway services, normally reckoned to be the most expensive fuel stops, are charging about 9p per litre (40p per gallon) less than the available price in Chatteris. Also, motorway services are the only places with petrol/diesel prices to compare to this area.
If I go to Tesco in March for a packet of sugar, I’ll be charged the same at any Tesco in the country, but Tesco’s petrol and diesel prices vary wildly around the country.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 9 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 10 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge