Cost of petrol in the Fens
EVER since moving to March in 2005, one thing has always puzzled me.
No matter how much the cost of petrol and diesel, this area (really from March to Soham) is consistently about 5p per litre (22p per gallon) dearer than elsewhere.
I know fuel isn’t cheap anywhere at the moment, but why do we pay such a premium? As for LPG, even motorway services, normally reckoned to be the most expensive fuel stops, are charging about 9p per litre (40p per gallon) less than the available price in Chatteris. Also, motorway services are the only places with petrol/diesel prices to compare to this area.
If I go to Tesco in March for a packet of sugar, I’ll be charged the same at any Tesco in the country, but Tesco’s petrol and diesel prices vary wildly around the country.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 3 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 4 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 7 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 8 Cross party review says 39 councillors for Fenland not enough -three more needed
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain