Cost of throwing a cigarette butt on the ground in Wisbech? £100 plus £140 costs
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech man who was spotted throwing a cigarette butt on the ground in the town’s market place has been hit with a £100 fine and ordered to pay £140 in related costs.
Mickev Reginantas, aged 32, of Kingfishers Drive, Wisbech, was taken to court by Fenland District Council after failing to pay a fixed penalty notice he had been given for littering.
He had been issued the ticket by one of the council’s Streetscene officers after he was seen dropping the cigarette outside Cat Haven - despite the fact that there was a litterbin only about 10 yards away
His failure to pay the fixed penalty, despite several reminders, resulted in the court action.
King’s Lynn magistrates imposed the £100 fine in his absence and also ordered him to pay £75 compensation, £45 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “The action was taken as part of the council’s continuing Keep Fenland Tidy campaign”.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend