Cottenham pub still open after garden fire
- Credit: Daniel Phillips
A fire in the garden interrupted a busy weekend for The Chequers pub in Cottenham.
The blaze started on Saturday (April 16) and residents could see the grey plumes of smoke across the village.
Cambridgeshire Fire said: "It was a wooden shelter area where the fire started.
"The fire then spread to cause external damage to a garage and two houses - damage to fascia on both and a roof.
"We got the call at 2.23pm and three fire engines attended, approximately 15 firefighters.
"They used two hose reels to put out the fire and left at 3.30pm.
"The cause was accidental electrical.
"No-one was injured."
The Chequers pub said: "As you may have heard or seen, there has been a small fire at The Chequers pub in Cottenham this afternoon.
- 1 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 2 Van and lorry in 'serious' crash on A141 near Wimblington
- 3 This is YOUR town’s future says council – tell us what you think?
- 4 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 5 Student, 14, arrested at Neale-Wade Academy, March
- 6 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Man fought off three hammer-wielding burglars
- 8 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
- 9 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
"The cause of fire is still under investigation but it is suspected to be cause by faulty electric.
"Luckily no one was harmed in the process.
"We would just like to let all our customer know that the situation is under control and we decided to remain open as usual.
"So to all of you who would like to come in for a cold drink in the garden, treat yourself to a homemade pizza or even to put in a kind word in this sad situation, our doors are open to you."