Council condemns ‘idiots’ who vandalised Chatteris toilets days after they were opened
CHATTERIS’ new toilets have been vandalised - just days after they were opened.
Councillor Peter Murphy, Fenland District Council’s portfolio holder responsible for the environment, cut the ribbon to open the toilet block, in Furrowfields Road, last Tuesday.
But the council has already been forced to launch repair work after vandals damaged the disabled loo and one of the Gents.
A council spokesman said: “It’s sad that only a few days after we opened these new toilets, some mindless idiots have already gone in and done this sort of damage.
“It seems that it doesn’t matter what you do - or how much you spend - to try to improve facilities, there will always be some people who just want to wreck them.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a good idea who may be responsible and are currently working with the police to investigate further.”
Councillor Murphy said last week that the new toilets in Chatteris - together with similar blocks in March and Wisbech - would save the council money.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Jail for pair who threatened group with sword
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
He said: “These clean, modern toilets provide much better facilities both for residents and visitors while also cutting the annual costs of upkeep.
“Between them, they will save the council �60,000 each year and significantly reduce the amount of time that staff spend maintaining them.”