Council drops “a clanger” over One Stop Shops
IT appears that Fenland District Council enjoys wasting tax payer’s money, by returning their Chatteris One Stop Shop operations back to the library building, where the council tax and housing rent was paid until mid 2005.
The birth of the four One Stop shops was said to be the best thing since sliced bread, however they came at a great cost, almost £1 million to refurbish plus 90k per annum to lease.
At the outset they were open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to noon on Saturdays; but FDC in their wisdom has continually cut the shop’s opening times; now this service will be cut by over 50 per cent to 27 hours if the move takes place.
It is a case of cut and run, because after eight years they realise they have dropped a big clanger.
I was never a lover of the One Stop Shop being in the Chatteris High Street, and stated so on many occasions, therefore in one way I am pleased; but appalled by the blatant lack of foresight and the waste of public money.
You may also want to watch:
I feel that there is a name for many of those backing this latest One Stop Shop venture,
I would not use Alan Melton’s description of individuals, but the word “plonkers” comes to mind.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
I rest my case.