Council is most improved
FENLAND District Council is the most improved council in England – and that s official! New Audit Commission figures have this week singled out Fenland as the most improved of the 388 local authorities – by a considerable margin. The Audit Commission s le
FENLAND District Council is the most improved council in England - and that's official!
New Audit Commission figures have this week singled out Fenland as the most improved of the 388 local authorities - by a considerable margin.
The Audit Commission's league table of local authorities is based on Government Performance Indicators, which are the national measures of success.
Fenland showed improvements in 72 per cent of Performance Indicators, several percentage points above their nearest rivals.
You may also want to watch:
On average, district councils showed improvements in between 47 and 49 per cent of their performance indicators, "which means that Fenland is streets ahead of other district councils" said council leader Geoff Harper.
"Accolades and awards have been pouring into Fenland. So far this year, Fenland has received 25 awards and commendations. The last 12 months have been the most impressive in the history of Fenland District Council."
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
Last week, the council was short listed for the Local Authority of the Year Award and the Municipal Journal Best Achieving Council Award.
This week, the council scooped the Association of Public Service Excellence Waste Management and Recycling Award - recognition of the council's achievement in recycling 60 per cent of household waste.
While the national trend for satisfaction levels for local authority waste collection and recycling is downwards, in Fenland the satisfaction levels continue to rise - a measure of the success of the council's three bin scheme
Cllr Harper added: "We are ecstatic. Fenland may be a small rural authority, but we are again proving that we are punching well above our weight. To be the most improved council in England, out of 388 authorities, is a truly phenomenal achievement.
"It could not have been done without the fantastic team spirit that extends across the organisation from councillors and senior officers to front-line staff.
"The Audit Commission figures are the icing on the cake.