Councillors declare new Wisbech theatre “fantastic” after seeing how their £400,000 was spent to help build it
- Credit: Archant
THE new theatre at Thomas Clarkson Academy is a “fantastic” facility that will benefit not only the academy but also the whole community of Wisbech, according to Fenland District Council Leader Alan Melton.
He was speaking after he and other councillors had been given a tour of the academy in advance of the theatre’s official opening on Saturday, March 16.
He said: “Two years ago we decided to provide £400,000 from our own resources to help build the new theatre and looking at it now there’s no doubt that it has been money very well spent.
“This is an absolutely fantastic facility which is already bringing great benefits to people at Thomas Clarkson. Not only that but it also has the potential to benefit many other groups within the town and beyond.
“I’m very proud that we have played a major part in bringing that about.”
You may also want to watch:
The new, 500-seat theatre will be officially opened with a concert by the Royal Air Force Swing Wing Band on March 16. Doors will open at 6.45pm and the inauguration ceremony will begin at 7pm.
Tickets cost £10 and are available from Thomas Clarkson Academy on 01945 585237, from Jan or Ray Hutchinson on 01945 584595 and from Fotogenic in Hill Street, Wisbech.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
All the proceeds will be donated to the RAF Association Wings Appeal.