Councillors join street cleaners to launch ‘Tidy Fenland’ litter crackdown
STREET cleaners were joined by councillors this morning as a campaign to crackdown on litter in Fenland was launched.
Fenland District Council Leader Alan Melton and Councillor Peter Murphy, portfolio holder for the environment, united with members of street cleansing teams in Chatteris to kick-start the ‘Tidy Fenland’ project.
Cllr Melton told the team: “This is a service that costs a lot of money and we’re trying to make the public aware of just how much it does cost.
“There is a very high level of satisfaction in the service you provide and a lot of credit should go to you guys who carry out the work. I can assure you that we will not be disinvesting in your service.”
The project aims to curb the minority of people who dump rubbish like takeaway food cartons, sweet wrappers and cigarette butts on the streets or in parks.
You may also want to watch:
An environmental services roadshow will be visiting the markets in March on Wednesday (Feb 9), Wisbech on Thursday (Feb 10) and Whittlesey on Friday (Feb 11), all from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
‘Tidy Fenland’ is the latest initiative in a wider “It’s your Fenland, be proud of it” campaign that aims to engage communities in helping to improve the district’s environment.
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 Carpenter 'honoured' by thank-you gifts to mark 25 years' service
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 9 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 10 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
Other projects include Fenland Renaissance, Street Pride, Fenland In Bloom, Fenland Environmental Enhancement Team (FEET) and the Street Scene team.