Councillors join street cleaners to launch ‘Tidy Fenland’ litter crackdown
STREET cleaners were joined by councillors this morning as a campaign to crackdown on litter in Fenland was launched.
Fenland District Council Leader Alan Melton and Councillor Peter Murphy, portfolio holder for the environment, united with members of street cleansing teams in Chatteris to kick-start the ‘Tidy Fenland’ project.
Cllr Melton told the team: “This is a service that costs a lot of money and we’re trying to make the public aware of just how much it does cost.
“There is a very high level of satisfaction in the service you provide and a lot of credit should go to you guys who carry out the work. I can assure you that we will not be disinvesting in your service.”
The project aims to curb the minority of people who dump rubbish like takeaway food cartons, sweet wrappers and cigarette butts on the streets or in parks.
An environmental services roadshow will be visiting the markets in March on Wednesday (Feb 9), Wisbech on Thursday (Feb 10) and Whittlesey on Friday (Feb 11), all from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
‘Tidy Fenland’ is the latest initiative in a wider “It’s your Fenland, be proud of it” campaign that aims to engage communities in helping to improve the district’s environment.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
Other projects include Fenland Renaissance, Street Pride, Fenland In Bloom, Fenland Environmental Enhancement Team (FEET) and the Street Scene team.